Friday, May 2, 2008

Tornado and Tests

I woke up this morning to a weather alert. Soon after, there was a tornado in Canton at the Trade Days park. My mom decided that we needed to get to the hospital before the tornados got to Tyler. So, we kicked it into gear and got ready. As we were about to head out the door, the news reported a tornado in Lindale, which is only about 20 minutes away. We took off. Well, one of my test was in the main hospital and the other was in the off campus portion. They are connected by a skywalk. We parked in the parking garage and went to the skywalk. When we got there, two ladies were standing there and told us they were not allowing anyone to cross. I looked at mom and she had very determined eyes. She told that lady that these tests have already been scheduled twice and we were NOT going to miss it again. They let us pass. We just watched the sky as we walked and made it across just fine. We went down to the admitting waiting room. We were called to the admitting desk to fill out the paperwork again. Right after we sat down, the electricity in the hospital went out. The generators kicked in just a few seconds later, but mom and I both knew what that could mean. We finished filling out the paperwork and went to the other end of the hospital where they do the Echo's. On the way there, they had an announcement over the intercom saying that we were no longer under a tornado warning. When we got to the waiting room, one of the techs came in and told us that they were still working on generators, so it would be a little while before they could do the test. I was a little frustrated, but at least we were there and they didn't cancel it. After about another 15 minutes, they came out and got me. I went back and they did the echo. It was cool to watch my heart beating on the screen. That lasted probably about 30 minutes and then we headed back to the other clinic to get the PET scan. They had a few cancellations because of the storm so they were able to get me in early. I was excited because I was STARVING!! Well, they took me back and had to put another IV in me...ugh! This time it HURT! They finally got me hooked up and the Echo tech came and got me. They put me in a dark room in a recliner with three pillows and warm blankets. They injected me with the radioactive tracer and told me I had to lay still for an hour. He told me I could go to sleep if I wanted to, but I had way too much on my mind so I just laid there and thought about stuff. An hour later, they came and got me and took me to the room. I sat on the "bed" and got ready to go. They strapped me in and told me to lay still and that the bed would move me in and out of the machine for the next 20 minutes. I closed my eyes and they got started. Well, I made the mistake of opening my eyes inside the machine. If you are the tiniest bit claustrophobic, DO NOT open your eyes in one of those machines. All I could think about was get me out of this machine. FINALLY, it was over. I have my MRI scheduled for tomorrow morning.

With God, WE WILL BEAT THIS!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a blast yesterday. I'm glad that you made it through the test. I love you and am praying for you continually

Anonymous said...

Cecilia is as determined as me when it comes to my daughters! lol Just keep on hanging in there, V-Rae...God is THE GREAT PHYSICIAN, just keep telling yourself that and don't believe any of those lies that might come... Love you!

Anonymous said...

hey fresca - i am praying for you! hang in there girl...may the peace and grace of God be on your and your family's lives and may he give you an extra dose of patience and endurance =)

love ya, girl!