Saturday, May 24, 2008

Doctor News

Well, I went to the doctor yesterday for my bi-weekly checkup. She told me to have a bag packed and be prepared to stay a night in the hospital to get platelets and possibly blood. We went in and I was still feeling "good" compared to the earlier part of the week. They took my blood (it is so funny to me at the amount of blood they take from me all the time- if they would quit taking it, they wouldn't have to give me so much...lol!!) and then we waited. The nurse took all my vital signs and they were good. We then waited for the doctor. She came in and pulled up the lab tests. According to that morning's tests and compared to the tests from Wednesday morning when I left the hospital, my white blood count stayed the same at .2. My red blood count went up to 1.4 and my platelet count dropped from 60 to 57. She said it was great that it didn't drop like she expected it to. I didn't need to go to the hospital. YEAH!!

I was still having a "good" day, but not the best day. I've been having some pains in my legs, back, and then I started having some in my sides. The nurse told me that one of my medications can cause joint pain, but it is ever going. Mom and I drove around Tyler for awhile to get out of the house, but I soon learned that my stamina is very limited. I was worn out within a hour. She brought me home and I layed down for a while. I never could get comfortable because of the aching pain. The heating pad helps some, but when I have a hot flash (which come on about 3-4 times a day), the heating pad is the last thing I want. Anyways, I made it through the day and slept a little last night, oh, did I mention the insomnia has kicked in?? Apparently, chemo makes you very weak and tired, but you NEVER go to sleep! :-) I haven't slept much in a few days, but I feel awake during the day, so that is good.

Well, that is the update for me right now. I seem to be having a "good" day so far, but it is only 8:00 am. Before you go, I want to share a little story with you about specific prayer:

I spoke to my sister-in-law sometime Wednesday afternoon. She was calling to check on me and then she told me she wanted to tell me something. (just a little background- when she first starting dating my brother, she was in a bad car accident and hurt her back. She had to have back surgery and wear a brace). Well, she told me that while she was in the hospital, her dad said a very specific prayer for her. He prayed that God would take away her back pain and give it to him. From that day on, her back didn't hurt, but her dad's did. She told me she knew it would work, but she was scared to pray it for me, but on Tuesday night, she prayed that God would give her my nausea and upset stomach so that I could have a good day. On Wednesday, I was fine. I kept all my food down. When talking to her, I found out that she was sick all night Tuesday and Wednesday. What a sacrifice!!

I didn't tell you that story to have you pray any of my aches pains or anything onto yourselves. I wouldn't wish ANY of this on anyone!! I just wanted you to know the power of SPECIFIC PRAYER. So, if while you are praying for me, maybe you could throw in a few specifics. We all know God is great and He doesn't have to "transfer" anything. He can just toss it in the garbage. If you don't know of any specifics, here are just a few that I have been praying and if you want more, just contact me:

sleep at night
aching pain in legs to go away
back pain to go away
that I will not get nauseous
that I can get up and do things around the house
that my ovaries are being protected from the chemo
the hot flashes subside
the feeling in the left side of my face to come back (from the surgery)
the transition of losing my hair to go smoothly (emotionally)

These are just a few, but if they were gone, it would make this road a lot easier. Thank you so much for all your prayers! We appreciate each and everyone!


WITH GOD, WE WILL BEAT THIS!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vanessa Rae-
You are so brave and such a trooper. You are awe-inspiring! Many people will be touched by your story, and I believe many lives will be changed to glorify God. Psalm 55:22 says,"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall." This verse comforted me recently, and I hope it does the same for you. When you need comfort, just hold your Bible in your hands-just feeling it in my hands helps me sometimes. Know that I love you dearly and I am available whenever you need me.

Anonymous said...

I would encourage everyone who is eligilble to be a blood donor or platelet/plasma (apheresis) donor to help patients like Vanessa. Also it's a very simple process to be listed on the National Bone Marrow Registry. Any of these costs the donor very little (other than time) considering the benefit to the recipient. What could more eximplify Christian charity than giving your blood for someone? Hope you have a calm, relaxing weekend, Vanessa.

Anonymous said...

You have the most amazing attitude. When you post it is obvious that you understand that God is in control of everything. The people that love you hate to see you go through any pain. I can't wait to see how the Kingdom will advance from the amazing story of a small town girl. This is your 1st cousin once removed...Melissa Brown Hayden. I'm the one with the big mouth and flaming red curly hair:) Anywho, Jeff and I are praying for you and your family. We will be specific as we have seen the power in the details as well. May God pour His favor on you!

Anonymous said...

You have the most amazing attitude. When you post it is obvious that you understand that God is in control of everything. The people that love you hate to see you go through any pain. I can't wait to see how the Kingdom will advance from the amazing story of a small town girl. This is your 1st cousin once removed...Melissa Brown Hayden. I'm the one with the big mouth and flaming red curly hair:) Anywho, Jeff and I are praying for you and your family. We will be specific as we have seen the power in the details as well. May God pour His favor on you!

Cathy Felicetty said...

You don't know me but we have a friend in common, Beth Weeks. We have been praying for you in our Sunday School class. I was looking at Beth's blog and ran across yours. I don't even know you but have read most of your posts. You seem to be an amazingly strong woman. I pray that you get through this because it seems to me that God is not through with you. I believe that he has a wonderful life instore for you! You will have (and already do have) and awesome testimony. WOW, you're so encouraging. I do pray that YOU WILL BEAT THIS! I look forward to your updates! BEST OF LUCK (you don't really need luck, you have HIM on your side)!