Monday, April 21, 2008

Relaxation, Rough Times & Faith

In case you haven't noticed, the e-mails are coming from Rob and are more for informational purposes, and the blogs are written by me for information but also so you can catch a glimpse into what this experience is like for me. Again, I want to thank each of you for praying for me and my family, for sending encouraging words our way, and for spreading the word so we can have others praying for us as well.

This past weekend, I went to Shreveport for a wedding shower and to just get away for a little while. The weekend was full of emotions, some good, some bad, and some just in the middle. When I got to town on Saturday, a friend of mine treated me to a manicure and pedicure. It was so wonderful and helped me get my mind off of things for a short time. I got french tip on my nails and LIME GREEN on my toes! I LOVE THEM!! My friend told me it matched my personality: "Brave", my mom did NOT like them (good thing it's on my toes and not hers!), but every time I look down at them, I smile. After being pampered and a great lunch (if ever in Shreveport, try the Village Market), I met up with another friend of mine and we went to her son's (3 yrs. old) t-ball game. It was the cutest thing I ever saw! The kids would dive-bomb the ball, but still so cute!

My weekend wasn't completely relaxation. I had my first true rough moments through this experience, and it wasn't at the time that I thought I would. It started Friday night when I was washing my hair and I realized that in a month or so, I wouldn't have any hair to wash. Don't get me wrong, I'm like most girls where I don't really care for my hair, but it is MY hair, it is connected to MY head. The next one was on Saturday night when I was straightening my hair. Again, the same thing...the thing that I've hated to do, something that takes forever is something that I'm going to miss a lot. It was rough. I've joked about FINALLY getting straight hair when I get a wig, but when it came down to the fact that the doctor told me FOR SURE I would lose my hair, it wasn't much of a laughing matter anymore.

Finally, the absolute best part of my weekend- the Faith part. I had the opportunity on Sunday to be anointed with oil. If you don't know, this is scripture based:


James 5:14-16


14- Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15- And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. 16- Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.


This was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I had my family, prayer warriors, and my former preacher gathered around me in the name of the Lord praying for me. God was there. He was sitting there holding my hand. I believe that I am going through this for a reason and He will let me know that reason when I am ready.


Now for the update, I will be having a bone marrow test tomorrow morning at 9:40 am. I've heard from several people that it really isn't very bad, but I'm still scared. I don't do pain!! I don't know when any of my other tests will be held. I'll keep ya posted. I also realized I forgot to tell you what type of chemo I will be on. It is called hyper-CVAD. I will have 8 treatments each 21 days long. It will be a long road, but with God, WE WILL BEAT THIS!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brave...? For sure. Determined...? Absolutely. An example of faith in the flesh...? That's you, chica.

pam said...

Lovin' the lime green toes, and yes, it is so YOU. I am happy you had a good time getting pampered. You have so many people pulling for all of you, praying so hard each day. You are so brave and I admire you very much; even when you don't feel so strong, just know that's ok, too. Rely on all of the people who are praying for you and who love you so very much!!

Tim and Rebecca said...

Hey, sis! You know what Green means, don't you? If not I'll explain it later in case your mom reads this. LOL
Remember, I've been through all this myself. I am ALWAYS here for you. Just a phone call away. Remember, we are suppose to have a shine off. Rebecca and I love you very much. I know Rebecca has really taken a liking to you after Christy's wedding. Trust me, this is an honor. LOL.
Love you, Sis

Anonymous said...

Rob and I read your blog after class last night. We both had a good laugh at the green toes! Hang in there! Your prayer warriors are working overtime!

Krumm

Beth said...

I hate that I missed spending time with you this weekend, Matthew missed the most I think. We pray for you each and everyday girlie! It's okay NOT to always feel like being strong, or brave!! That's what you have ALL of us for pulling for you an cheering you on.
TOGETHER...WE WILL BEAT THIS!!

mizlesa said...

2 Chronicles 20:12 is probably my favorite scripture prayer and I have prayed it often. (The whole chapter is faith-inspiring.)
A paraphrase: "We don't have any strength against this and we don't know what to do, but our eyes are on You."
You are in good Hands. So many people are sharing your burden by praying.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to know my WHOLE family is creating a prayer chain for you! We Will Beat This!!! Look at all you've done already this year! And I'm enjoying your blogs. I started my nails about an hour ago, and am waiting for the base to dry as I'm reading your blog....so I'm going to join you and paint my toes GREEN!!! We'll all join ya! Love always!

Anonymous said...

Fresca,
I am really enjoying the updates...you are giving us a real glimpse into the life and mind of a girl determined. A side (& possible bright) note: did you know, with this upcoming hair loss, there is some thing very interesting hair gain? Many people that have received chemo and radiation and have lost their hair, ofter experience a brand new hair color and texture when their hair comes back! You could have straight, red hair by the end of the year! ; ) I hope this makes you smile! I think we should start a campaign that each and every girl that is supporting you must sport lime green nail polish and send you a picture! TTYS!
~Shelley