Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Diagnosis

Today, April 17th, I was diagnosed with T-cell Acute Lymphoblastic Lymphoma (T-ALL). I know the big word, but I really don't know what it means other than I have lymphoma which is a type of blood cancer. Yep, the big "C" word. This may have come as a shock to most of you, but for us, it was a 2-3 week process. It started with a swollen lymph node on my neck (about 3 mths ago). After waiting it out, per my doctor's instructions, they decided to do a blood test to make sure it wasn't leukemia. My results came back as low white blood count (not really low, but lower than it should be). So, I went to see a surgeon. She decided the best thing to do was to just get the lymph node out and do a biopsy on it. So on Monday, I went in and had a lymphotomy [another big word :-)]. She told me that when she looked at it, she thought it looked good. We got a call last night saying that she wanted us to come in this morning. We prepared ourselves for the worst. I think we actually shocked her because we went in and when she said it was bad news, I said to her "it's lymphoma? What do we do?". I will go to the oncologist tomorrow and will have more news then. Thank you to each of you who have already called, e-mailed, and messaged us. Many of you have asked what can you do. Right now, we are just asking that everyone pray and pray hard!! We are doing ok right now. Our spirits are high and we are in the fighting mode. I know that I have God on my side and we will come out on top of this thing. Lymphoma is a very cureable cancer from what we have heard, but as of right now, we are waiting for the appointment tomorrow. I will keep everyone informed.

We went to eat after the appointment and this is Rob's fortune from his fortune cookie. I thought it was great!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

We WILL beat this, especially with cute toes! That's for you, chica. Lova ya! Crystal

Rob and Jen said...

We are praying for you!

Kim McInnis said...

Hey Vanessa,

You are in our prayers. Keep up with your positive attitude. Love you!

Jason, Kim, & Emma Grace McInnis

Tim and Ashley Stuart said...

We are fighting this with you and will be there the whole way! I'm so proud of how positive you are being! Tim and I love you very much and are praying diligently!
Love you my sweet sister!

Cotters R Us said...

We are praying for you!

Love,
the Cotter family

Gail Thompson said...

Vanessa and Rob,
You are already an inspiration to all with your great attitude! God IS good! Everyone who goes along side you on this journey will be blessed and strengthened!
Gail Thompson

martha alexander said...

Ryan just sent me this link. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. But I know you have a lot of faith that will see you through this. God still performs miracles!! And sometimes they are performed through doctors and nurses. Rely on all of those Bible Drill verses you learned so well!! That seems like yesterday!! I've already emailed a lot of people and you and Rob are already on a lot of prayer lists. I love ya bunches!!

Unknown said...

Rob and Vanessa,
I just want you two to know how much your dad and I love you. Vanessa, your are truly awesome. My love and my faith is with you all the way. I believe in miracles and I am praying for one.

Anonymous said...

I love you and text, email or call me anytime you need to laugh or cry on my phone...get it...instead of cry on my shoulder...huh...huh...get it...I can only imagine what your going through, and I know it's going to be one of the hardest adventures of your life, but if I know you, and I'm pretty sure I do, you'll beat it and then some...Love you all,
Ginger Reigh

Anonymous said...

Hey sweet girl...praying for you
and love you very much. Rob is
a rock, he leans on God and you
can lean on God and him....love

Cathie said...

Vanessa, it seems you were a little girl the last time I saw you. It was good to see a picture of your family. I know you guys are facing some tuff times ahead, but I also know God will be with you every step of the way. His Grace is sufficient. Our prayers will be with you all. In Christ, Cathie Grayson

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that I think you made a great choice. What troopers you and your family are... Awesome!!! Remember, all of you are ALWAYS in our prayers...Love to you all...Ginger Reigh

Melissa said...

Hey Vanessa! Consider me praying for you and your precious family during this fight! God is good! Love to be in contact again.