Thursday, April 24, 2008

MD Anderson

Well, we got the call yesterday morning that they had appointments scheduled for me at MD Anderson for this week and next week. We switched to panic mode, Rob's mom headed to Tyler to stay with the girls and we threw clothes in a suitcase and headed to Houston. Of course, I forgot important things like my toothbrush, but that's ok because the hotel had one and we are right next door to a Kroger. Anyways, we drove in last night and I had an upset stomach the entire way. I think I was just anxious about leaving in such a hurry and coming to Houston so fast. Well, we got in around 9:30 pm and got to our hotel. We unloaded, unpacked and was just about ready to calm down for the evening when we realized that our room didn't have any internet service. This really doesn't work for Rob, so he called down and they decided to move us to another room, so we repacked everything and headed to another room. By this time, It was about 10:30 and I'm about to fall asleep standing up, so I crash.

My first appointment was for 7:30 am today, which for those of you that know me, I am NOT a morning person. I got up at the last possible minute, got ready and we took off. We get to the waiting room and we wait. Then we wait some more. Finally, about an hour later, they called us to go talk to business services to discuss insurance and stuff like that. Then, we go back to the waiting room where I fill out 8 pages of information...again!! After this, they tell me to go back to the lab and I'm so bummed because they are going to have to stick me in my little bitty veins. I go to the lab and they take my vital signs and NO BLOOD! I was so excited. I came back to the waiting room all smiles! Then we wait. About 30 minutes later, the nurse FINALLY came in and called my name. We go back to the room and talk to her briefly and refuse to have ANOTHER bone marrow test done. I just had one done two days ago and we had all the slides with us so it just seemed unnecessary to do another. She leaves and said another lady was going to come get us, so we wait. Can you tell we waited A LOT???? Well, another lady came in and got us and told me we were going back to the lab...OH NO!!!! Well, they had orders to fill up ELEVEN of those tubes with my blood, and not just fill up 11 of them, but they had to stick twice...ON PURPOSE!! Something about making sure my blood was mine. If it came out of my arm, who's else would it be??? Like my dad said, they were trying to make sure the blood in my right arm was the same as the blood in my left arm...who knows!! Well, they were good because they both got a vein on the first time, and I am so proud of my vein in my left arm. It filled up 10 of those tubes before giving out. My right arm is very bruised. Well, that was the end of the torture for the morning, so we left to go to lunch. We found an Olive Garden and took out our frustration on the chicken parmesean.

After lunch, we came back to the hotel and I took a nap. My next appointment wasn't until 2:00 so it was kind of nice to relax for just a little bit. Well, Rob woke me up and off we went again. We arrived at 1:45 pm, yes ladies and gentlemen, I was EARLY!! Well, they put us in the room about 1:55 pm and we waited...seriously!! The nurse came in briefly and said that the PA would be in to talk to us soon (notice I said soon). Well, about 3:15, the PA came in. She told us that it was mandatory for me to have a bone marrow test done at MD Anderson if I was to be treated there. We told her that I was going to be treated in Tyler because our kids are in school and our house and friends and family are close by. She looked us straight in the eye and said "I don't know why you are here then." Rob and I about fell out of our chairs. She left to go get the doctor, so we fumed and WAITED! While we were waiting, Rob called Dr. Lee (my oncologist in Tyler) and left a message for her or her nurse Bill to call us ASAP. About 15 minutes later the doctor came in. He had just talked to Dr. Lee and was very nice about the fact that we really came down here before we really needed to. They are not going to run any test here except the fertility test now. So, we talked to Dr. Lee's office and they are going to set the test back in Tyler. The plan now is to see the gynecologist tomorrow, a transplantist on Monday (just in case) and Dr. Burger (the doctor here) on Tuesday and then head home.

On the aspect of harvesting my eggs, we discussed this with Dr. Burger today. He said it would really depend on what the OBGyn says tomorrow. He said it takes a certain amount of time for the hormones to work and they have to do it at a certain time to make it work. Also, there is the chance that if we delay the chemo to do the eggs, the hormones they give me could cause the cancer to "explode" (his word) in my body and that wouldn't be good either. Rob and I have talked about it and prayed and we are going to trust God in this. If the OBGyn says we can do it then great let's get to it, if she advises against it, then we are going to trust Him that my ovaries will come back after the chemo. If it isn't His will, then we will adopt.

About the chemo, if everything goes according to plan, and we can't harvest my eggs, it looks like I will be starting chemo late next week or early the week after next. I know this is a lot of information and I thank each of you for taking the time to read it and keep us in your prayers. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact us at wewillbeatthis@gmail.com.

WITH GOD WE WILL BEAT THIS!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vanessa, if you need anything or just need a friendly face in Houston at anytime, let me know. You know we live in Houston, and Sarah and I will come to see you or you can come to our house (we have a big house here!). We love you and your family, and are continually praying for strength and speedy healing!

Anonymous said...

Stay strong, Vanessa! I know it's hard right now with all the tests to be done and everything. I am praying for you daily and I know many others who are praying as well. This morning my prayer was for wisdom for the doctors at MD Anderson and for God to take care of you like he has promised.

Anonymous said...

Vanessa - keep the strength up - sounds like you and Rob and doing a great job understanding what is going on with the doctors and all the tests. I admire your courage and challenging their 'routines'. My prayer this morning is for your continued postitive attitude and physical strength!

Tanya Tingle

Anonymous said...

Vanessa - Your strength and positive attitude is amazing!! I'm very proud of you for understanding all of the medical rhetoric and standing your ground with the doctors. I'm thankful you will be able to stay at home for the treatments. Family and friend support is invaluable. I will be praying for wisdom for the doctors and nurses and God's peace and comfort for you and your family. Love Ya!

Betsy St. Amant said...

I'm praying, Vanessa! Just heard!!

Mike Mullins said...

PAWPAW & MAWMAW will keep praying with you all, God has the final say in this no matter what the doc says...keep smiling :)


dad