Saturday, June 7, 2008

Hello Home...Good-bye Tastebuds

Well, I've been home for almost two days now and I guess it is going ok. These first four or five days are supposed to be my worst, so I guess in that sense, I am doing good. I don't feel great and sometimes, I don't even feel good, but I am making it through. Today has been kind of rough. We are supposed to be flying to Disney World today for our family vacation and instead, I'm bald, weak and just hoping to feel better. I know God has a reason for this, but it's times like this that I wish it was evident to me.

I also lost my taste buds this week. I've heard that everything will taste like metal or sawdust, but for me, that isn't the case. Everything tastes like it has a coating of Vaseline over it. It is absolutely disgusting. I can still tastes some hints of flavor in some things, but hamburgers and french fries are done! I've been able to eat some toast and crackers and then tonight an egg sandwich, but who knows how long it will be before that tastes bad to me too. Rob bought me some Ensure to help get my nutrients, but those things are bad to begin with, at least I'm trying.

I know this blog isn't upbeat, but I'm not upbeat right now. Remember, I want you to experience what I am going through. Thank you for your prayers. They are holding me up right now. For some specific prayers, please pray that I will get stronger instead of weaker these next few days and will stay that way through this round. Pray that I will keep some of my taste buds so I can get some nutrients. Pray for my sanity to get through this and for God to give me the strength to get through this.

With God, WE WILL BEAT THIS!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep it real, chica. No one expects you to be upbeat through all of this. You are doing great and are a living, breathing testimony to God's awesome power. Disney World will still be there when this is all said and done, and no one will deserve a vacation more than you! You are an inspiration. Love you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you're going through a rough patch right now. I know that's part of it but I am praying against it for you. I have learned some interesting (and undesirable) side effects of chemo by reading your blog that I was not aware of.

Sending you a hug and praying for better days soon. Love ya...hang in there for us and thanks so much for keeping us informed.

Anonymous said...

Vanessa:

I am so sorry about the taste buds. A couple of things that might help. Try eating with plastic utensils instead of metal. The metal can cause some weird tastes when you are on chemo. Also, try adding ice cream and/or vanilla flavoring to the ensure. We did that for Mother and that helped her to get it down. Don't worry about the "down" blog. We want to know exactly how you are feeling so we know exactly how to pray for you.

Love Ya!

Ms. Martha

Jaclyn Litton said...

it is ok not to be upbeat all of the time...you are going through a rough time and it's ok to say how you feel. hang in there, fresca!!! just think about celebrating your recovery victory w/ mickey! i pray that God will sustain you through this difficult season in your life...hang in there!!!!

Jaclyn Litton said...

Praise you in this storm (performed by Casting Crowns)

I was sure by now,God, that You would have reached down
and wiped our tears away,
stepped in and saved the day.
But once again, I say amen
and it's still raining
as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain,
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away.

And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to You
and raised me up again
my strength is almost gone how can I carry on
if I can't find You
and as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away

And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I lift my eyes onto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth
I lift my eyes onto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth

Unknown said...

Life sucks right now for you and it is ok to express how you feel. I love you and am praying for you.

RitaK said...

Great news! It sounds like you're doing much better than you feel. Try some orange slices or other fruit with different flavor - mango or grapes. Grilled cheese is pretty good but not too overly flavorful. If you can keep any food down at all you are doing fantastic! Keep your eyes on the "Great Physician" and think about the rewards that are in store!
Love and prayers for you & your family! Rita K. Hord (Patsy cousin)Mother of a survivor! PTL!

Tim and Rebecca said...

So if it all taste like saw dust then east saw dust. You'll get fiber, right? If it all taste like Vaseline and Robert is cooking...well then it just might be. I never trusted his cooking. I think the girls might cook a little better. Even it's burnt or as we call it in here in New Orleans, blacken.
I hope no one thinks I'm heartless by leaving posts like this. As you know Vanessa, I believe humor heals all. I would rather make you laugh then tell you how bad you must feel. I like to laugh and love to see others do the same. Which reminds me. I'm still looking for that pink Harley for you. I did find a pink Harley bandanna. Still thinking about getting that for ya.
Talk with ya later, sis.
Tim