Friday, October 9, 2009

Firefighters, Pigs, and A Little Love

A couple of weeks ago, the Tyler area hosted the Firefighters Combat Challenge at the local mall. We set up a booth last year for the Light the Night walk, so we decided to do it again this year. It was such a great turn out! The girls had a blast because they got to work with the firemen and the challenge by resetting the targets after the firemen knocked them down with the water. We sold light the night items and water and candy bars. After all was said and done, we raised around $200 for the cause! We were able to talk to people and tell them about the walk and hopefully got a few more teams to sign up. Here are a few pics from the event:




While we were there, we had this group of bikers come up and start talking to us. I am so glad they did. They are part of the Wood County Sheriff's Department and one of their Deputy's was just recently diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma. They asked a lot about the society and were even thinking of starting a team. His name is Shannon Love, so please remember him in your prayers. His website is www.fightingforlove.org if you want to stop in. They are holding fundraisers all around town to help raise money for his medical expenses. We gave them some information and a "survivor" bear to give to him. Even though he is not in remission yet, we gave him a survivor bear so he would know that we were praying for him and believing he would be a survivor. I hope I run in to these people again as they were so sweet and you could see the love and concern they had for their friend.


This is a pic of the girls and Natalie's friend Haley. Don't they look thrilled!?! They were waiting for their moment to run and set up the target again.






And finally, this past week has been an adventure for our family. Our youngest daughter Natalie was diagnosed with the H1N1 (Swine) Flu. The whole family was put on Tamiflu- which has side effects worse than the flu itself! She has been locked in the house all week and is bored out of her mind. It has been a difficult week for me as well because I've had to stay away from her. It is so hard to stay away from my sick child, but for my sake, I had to. She is just too contagious. So, if she was out of her bedroom, I was in mine. We are germ-x and clorox wipe people!!! Thankfully, she is on the mend. She has been fever free for 3 days now and can return to school next week.I go back to the doctor in another week and a half. Please continue to pray that my blood counts are normal and the mass is shrinking. I'm not sure when my next scan will be, but I will let you know as soon as I find out! Thank you all again for everything you have done and for all your prayers! You, my friends, are AWESOME!!!
Don't forget- Light the Night walk is October 17th at Bergfeld Park. Let me know if you want to join us!
With God, WE WILL BEAT THIS!!!

3 comments:

Stuart said...

Vanessa-
Hope the walk goes well! It's great that you're so involved.

I hope Natailie recovers quickly if she hasn't already, and that you can come out of quarantine mode with her. You have to do what you have to do-- to stay healthy!

I tried to leave a comment on Shannon Love's site but looks like there's a glitch. I hope he finds a good donor-- and that a transplant saves him. What a long road cancer treatment is... geesh!

Keep us posted on your next blood count and tumor visit. Keep your eyes on one thing and one thing only... and HE will carry you every single moment of the day and night. I know you are--

mizlesa said...

Vanessa,
I got Rob's email and will be praying for you this week as always. Sorry your family has had a case of swine flu. Crystal's middle one had it too and was really sick. Your hair looks cute--still curly, I see :0) Miz Lesa

Umby said...

My husband and I went to High School with your husband and we have found your blog and your journey with cancer..you are in our thoughts and prayers. You have a beautiful family God Bless you and your recovery to healthy days
Ken and Gretchen Umbdenstock