Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Confusion, Results, and Life Continues...

Why do doctors feel that they can tell you two things that contradict each other and they think you won't notice? I have found this to be the case more times than not. My thought is they do it to cover all their bases so they won't be sued. All I know is, it is AGGRAVATING! I went back to Baylor for my bone marrow aspiration this past week. As we (me and my mom) are waiting, the doctor comes in and begins to talk about the mass under my sternum. From what I heard from my doctor and from him the first time I spoke to him, this is a very common place for recurrence. Well, this time, he said it was a very unusual metastasization. And, the first time I saw him, he said I needed a bone marrow transplant no matter if it was cancer or not, and this time, he said I might not need one. I just wish he would make up his mind. This is my life he's messing with!

I actually spoke to my doctor today- yes, the actual doctor called me! He called to let me know that the results from my bone marrow aspiration came back clean! This is such good news! It means that if the cancer is back, it has not spread to my marrow. I cannot have a transplant with cancer cells in my marrow, so this is good. We caught it early...whatever it may be. The next step is to do another PET scan to see what is going on with the mass. On the upside, my throat has not hurt in almost 3 weeks now! Prayer is working (not that I ever doubted it!)!!! I also spoke to the marrow registry person at Baylor. My brother was not a match for me, so I went into the national registry. From the initial search, there were 177 possible matches for me in the registry. They said this was a great response! From those 177, they chose 8 to start with more specific testing. I should have some results from those by the end of next week. It still just touches my heart that there is someone out there who is willing to donate bone marrow to save my life- and they have never met me nor do they know anything about me. Again, I encourage each and every one of you that is able to get put on the national registry. You never know who's life you could save! Just go to http://www.marrow.org/ for more information.

In the meantime, since I am taking a semester off from school, I have been able to get back to my recreational reading. Last December, I spent 3 weeks of it in the hospital. The women's ministry at our church gave me a gift bag. Inside was a book called She's All That. I had never heard of this author or this series. Since then, I have fell in love with her books! I have finished 2 of the 3 books in the Spa girls series. Girls, if you are looking for something to read, this is a must! They are christian chick-lit. By the end of the book, you feel as though you are one of the spa girls. They are by Kristin Billerbeck and I am a new fan! She has several other series out, so I'm sure they would all be good.


Hope you are all having a good week! Thanks for all the prayers and support! (I just realized I use exclamation points a lot!!! HAHA) I'll keep you updated as we find out more...
With God, WE WILL BEAT THIS!!!

2 comments:

mizlesa said...

Doctors!!!! Whatever your true medical status is, God knows and He's your ultimate physician so that's good to know :)
Glad to hear you're feeling well!!!

Stuart said...

Vanessa-

Very happy to hear that the marrow was clean. Did you get the PET scan yet? I am curious to hear what it shows.

Keep us updated as you are able!

Love from Atlanta to you and your family--

Stuart