Sunday, August 24, 2008

MD Anderson and the "R" Word

We went down to MD Anderson about two weeks ago for a checkup. Our morning started out early as my lab appointment was at 7:45am. I went in and they started to pull blood from my PICC line. Before she drew the blood, she stopped and asked if my PICC was put in at MD Anderson. When I told her it was put in at ETMC, she stopped and told me she couldn't touch it unless it had been x-rayed and ok'd by the doctor at MD Anderson, so she had to stick me. Well, my veins are tiny to begin with, but chemo shrinks them too, so they are super tiny. There is only one vein on my right hand that can still work, so she stuck it and got the blood she needed. After lab, it was time for us to WAIT (MD Anderson's favorite thing to make patients do). Finally, we were called back. We spoke to the nurse, then the nurse practitioner, and then about an hour later Dr. Burger came in. He went through his check-up questions and then he said the "R" word- REMISSION. Rob and I looked at each other like we had heard him wrong. He said that I was in remission, but that he wanted to do another bone marrow biopsy to be absolutely sure. I was less than thrilled to hear that part. He said there was a test they could do that ETMC couldn't do that can take a closer look at the cells. It was a week until I got the results, but they came back absolutely clear. I am truly in REMISSION!!! I am so excited. I still have to finish out my treatments, but I know that I am cancer free. Finishing out my treatment will increase the chances that the cancer will not return. It is going to be a rough road again, but I know that I have my prayer warriors behind me and God helping me through this.

Thank you to each of you who have lifted my name up in prayer. I can never express my full appreciation to you.

With God, WE WILL BEAT THIS!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

God is great! That's fabulous news, Vanessa!

Tracy said...

God is so good! I'm SO happy for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Answered prayer! Our Sunday School class is faithful to pray for you every Sunday. They were so excited to hear the good news!!! We will continue to pray that the rest of the treatment goes smoothly for you. You deserve it!!!

Beth said...

Praise the Lord!! Awesome news!! We will continue to pray BNessa!!