Thursday, May 29, 2008

It's a NO hair day!

Well, my original plan was to go on Friday and get my head shaved. Well, after my hair started falling out, I realized it was happening faster than I thought and more than likely, I would not have any hair left by Friday, so we bumped up the date. Here are a few pics from the evening:


Rob and I before we left to go. I'm wearing a hat because the top of my head had several bald spots already. It was really not pretty.

Me and my sweet friend Crystal. She shaved her head with me to help me get through the experience.

This is my friend and hairdresser Sharon.

Crystal went first. Her first expression was shock.

About half way through we started laughing

Then it was my turn- Do you like my fake smile?

Even though I knew it was coming off, I was still nervous.

The pile of hair

And here we are...

Thank you so much Crystal for doing this with me. The laughter (mostly coming from our husbands) made it a fun experience!

Now for a health update: I went to the doctor on Tuesday and everything looked good. All my blood counts were up...even my white blood count. My platelets are going up as well. They have to reach 100 before they can start my next round of chemo. They were at 65. Please pray they will reach 100 so we can start on schedule next Monday.

I have been feeling very good lately. Saturday was the last day that I had to lay around most of the day. Sunday morning, I was able to go to Sunday School which was so special to me. I was pretty lazy the rest of the day because it kind of wore me out, but I still was so glad I got to go. On Monday, I was able to be up the whole day and sit with the family and some friends. Each day I get a little stronger. Thank you so much for each of your prayers. I know it is because of them that I am getting stronger.

WITH GOD, WE WILL BEAT THIS!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I think you still look very very beautiful! Without a doubt, you and I are blessed with some of the most precious awesome friends! Love you sweetie, see you soon.

Anonymous said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...you are a trooper! You (and Crystal) look just as beautiful in the after pics as in the before ones. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it! You both actually DO look beautiful! Who would have thought that baldheaded women still look that great!!! I am so proud of you two! The specific prayers are continuing!

Love you,
Jill

Beth said...

Okay now that I can see through the tears!! You two look great! What a special friend! Thank you Crystal for being there with her!!Talk to you soon!!

Anonymous said...

you look beautiful and
your friend does too. I
am glad to see your smile
and sweet spirit! Angie

Anonymous said...

Well,don't you have a pretty head and now you really see your pretty face! Sounds funny but really not everyone can be bald AND beautiful. Your friend looks like a very chic model and wasn't that sweet?!
Vanessa, I'm so thankful you have felt better for a few days. I'm thinking about Thanksgiving because from what I understand you should be about done with treatment by then and how thankful we all will be. Love you :)

Chris said...

Wow! The longer I look at the last picture of both of you, the more I see your actual natural beauty absolutely unveiled! I'm so proud of both of you - Vanessa, for having such a positive attitude in the middle of difficult circumstances, and Crystal for giving such a lovely sacrificial gift! You go girls!

Anonymous said...

WOW, who would have thunk it?! Y'all look very HOT! It makes me wonder what I'd look like bald. Crystal seems like a true friend. Not many people would do that even for a family member.

I have and will continue to pray specifically about the platelets...if anything, I understand low platelets. God creates even the smallest of cells, he can handle platelets!

Anonymous said...

Girl! I love the pics! What an incredible blessing to have such a great friend!! And girl - you look so beautiful! I keep reading your blogs thinking you are going to look 'sick', but you don't - You look like the same ol' beautiful Vanessa!!! We are still praying praying praying over here!!

Tim and Rebecca said...

And now for the response from the person you fear from the most. ME! But I keep it painless for ya...this time. One, u look great! Two, I didn't think you would post pics of it. Three, Since Robert was laughing, he should of gotten his head shaved. Heck, he's almost there already!
BUT, you have the look, but your still missing some thing. What is it...thinking......thinking...I got it! Your missing the Harley, Girl!
What did Emma and Natalie say about it? Can't be no worst then what my kids said when I shaved mine. Wait, they didn't say any thing. Hard to speak when your on the ground crying from laughter.
Hey, Kudos to your friend for shaving her head. That's hot. LOL
Love you, girl!
Oh, Hey. One bit of advice. Sunblock on the head until you get some color on there. Trust me...good idea. Learn from my mistake. LOL

Anonymous said...

Okay, so now you know why I don't blog or comment on blogs. I left you a comment on Thursday, or so I thought... I saw that you had some more comments today, so I started reading them and realized I couldn't find the one Casey and I left. But I PROMISE we wrote one! :-)
We both were amazed at how good the two of you look without hair! We scrolled through the pics slowly to build the suspense and when we got to the "no hair" pic we simultaneously said, "They look REALLY good!"
My only question for you now is "What are you going to do with ALL that time you used to spend drying and straightening your hair?!" HA!
Tell the girls "HI".
We love and miss all of you,
Kay, Casey, Walker and Wyatt